video conferencing last night

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Apr 8 17:55:54 MST 2020

I use zoom a lot these days, and this is after a lot of initial
resistance.  It works, where most things do not under linux, in better ways
than any other.

While I don't want naked dudes showing up randomly in conferences of mine
with customers any more than playing Monster Hunter World on PS4 with
family on weekends, I fail to see how how this is any better or worse than
Teams, WebEx, or GoToMeeting.  No one has addressed the 3000lb gorilla in
the room of "what about the others?", but I suspect even cisco is probably
wack underneath too, particularly GTM that still can't work with linux
respectably, but no one seems focused on them, only zoom.

Teams has constantly crashed in enterprise meetings the past few weeks,
zoom chugs on.  Webex works mostly, but I've heard customers grumbling that
use it.  Zoom mostly works, despite their (self-imposed) bad PR.

Sounds like marketing to me, and while Zoom got caught with their pants
down, I still don't assume they're any worse than the others.

IMHO.

-mb