tesseract ocr options?

Joe Lowder joe at actionline.com
Wed May 22 20:22:01 MST 2019

tesseract ocr has worked well for me in many cases,
but sometimes it separates columns vertically instead
of keeping columns of data on the same line.

For example a jpg showing a list of names and addresses
with the names followed by the addresses on the same line,
but the ocr result has the list of names in a vertical line
followed by the addresses in a vertical line below the names
instead of on the same line as the names.

I found a man page that suggested using --psm N
with 10 different numeric options for N, but got no help.

$: tesseract namesandaddresses.jpg names --psm 4

Resulting error message:
Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.03 with Leptonica
read_params_file: Can't open 4

Any suggestions how to fix this?