Intel's Clear Linux ...

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Thu May 16 16:31:20 MST 2019

On 2019-05-15 09:56, Matt Graham wrote:
> On 2019-05-13 18:49, Joe Lowder wrote:
>> Intel's Clear Linux ...
>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/05/13/its-time-to-pay-attention-to-intels-clear-linux-os-project/#7d80a96f5c49
> If you want to run a GUI, it requires an Intel graphics card.

That's what their website said.  However, running the "desktop" LiveCD
image gave me a GUI even though I have a Radeon card.  So it'll run on
an AMD CPU and GPU.

The main problem that I ran into was that the version that I retrieved
refused to see any of my USB 1.1 devices.  It didn't even list the root
hubs when I did "lsusb".  Guess what, most people's mice and keyboards
these days are USB 1.1.  (I am a dinosaur in that my keyboard's still
PS/2.)  Maybe it was the OHCI chipset that was throwing it off.  Intel
boards usually use UHCI, so they may have said that OHCI is Not Our
Problem.  It's 2 modules that total 56K, good grief, people.  The last
time anyone had to worry about which USB chipset they had was in the
early 2000s.  The final straw?  Shift+NumLock didn't do
Pointer_EnableKeys.  The GUI wasn't worth exploring with no way to
navigate any menus.

If I have time later, I may see if they actually have the modules in
/lib/modules and didn't load them due to arrogance and/or hubris.  But
AFAICT, Clear Linux is not ready for prime time right now.

> I may try their live CD on the laptop at some point

Nope, my laptop is too old to run this as its comparatively ancient i3
CPU doesn't support the AES instructions.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity