vimtutor

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Feb 1 13:33:44 MST 2019

On 2019-01-31 23:19, Phil Waclawski wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:14 PM Stephen Elliott
> <tnflyfisher at live.com> wrote:
>> I’m learning Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS from the 2019 edition of Ubuntu
>> Unleashed.
>> It says to use the vimtutor command to learn vi’s keyboard commands.
> It is usually a separate program (I think kind of like an overlay
> that invokes vim)  so you need to do
> sudo apt install vimtutor
> first, I think. I know you do on CentOS.

What?  vimtutor belongs to the vim-enhanced package on CentOS 6 and 7,
or at least that's what I'm seeing here.  The vim-minimal package may
not include it.  On Gentoo, it's part of vim-core.  All it is is a shell
script that copies $VIMRUNTIME/tutor/tutor to a writable directory and
starts vim on that file.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity