SSDs versus spinning-rust drives

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Dec 2 11:59:24 MST 2019

On 2019-12-01 22:27, Jim wrote:
> On 12/1/19 2:57 PM, Brian Cluff wrote:
>> I should add, that you can run a hybrid setup where you run your
>> system on the SSD and put your home directory on an spinning drive.

This is what I do.  1 64G SSD (4.5 years old now) for / , /boot, and
EFI, /home, /usr/portage, /mnt/eroot (backup partition) on 2 930G spinny
disks in softRAID-1.  I have not seen ill effects from having /var on an
SSD.  It's written to/read from a lot since I'm running Gentoo.  When
one of the spinny disks stops working, I'll replace it with a larger
model.  /home is rsynced to external USB2 disks every couple of days.  I
tried using part of the SSD as LVM cache, but it didn't make anything
perceptibly faster.  A benchmark might've noticed some improvement, but
a human didn't.

> This is what I do because I can't afford 10 GB of SSDs for the video
> and music I have stored on this dinosaur.

10T, right?  I don't even think they make 10G disks these days.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity