display shuts off at random

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 21:56:23 MST 2019

I have a dinosaur running Kubuntu 18.04 with a Gigabyte P35-DS3L
motherboard and an Intel Core 2 duo E6850 CPU and 8GB RAM.  For a video
card, I have a GeForce GT 520.   A few days ago it started acting up.
Now, at random, it acts as if the video card shuts off.  Both monitors
give a no signal message.  However, the software I had running continues
running.  I know this because the dinosaur still plays the audio.  The
keyboard doesn't respond. crtl+alt+backspace doesn't work.  I can ssh
into it, but it won't reboot.  The only thing I can do to recover is to
hold down the power switch until it shuts off, then turn it on again.

Any idea what this might be?

thanks