bonding

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Sep 9 13:30:20 MST 2018

Keep in mind, bonding nics does not magically give you n+x throughput...

By nature of the technology, there are flow hashes created off source/dest
mac, ip, or port, that keeps your flows "stuck" to a particular computes
hash path.  So if you have a single tcp connection with same source,
destination, and port (ie backup or cifs filer session), it will NOT
balance across multiple pipes, but rather will just fill one of n in the
link aggregation bundle.  There are bond settings to control this, but will
still ultimately be a limitation whether you're talking a linux server or a
high-end cisco nexus switch.  This works great only when you're a service
provider with lots of little connections to spread out, not so much a few
major blasts.

This is a popular misconception among non-networking folks that simply
bonding multiple circuits gives your more bandwidth, but entirely not the
case.  If you need more than 100mb, you 1gb.  If you need more than 1gb,
you go 10gb, etc.  Bonding is more for redundancy than throughput imho.

-mb