portable streaming media hardware question

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Fri Nov 16 14:49:03 MST 2018

I have several raspberry PI's that I use as media servers with no issues
osmc and xbmc are a bit slow on the older raspberry pi's with 512 ram
I just completed a media server with Raspberry PI B+ that loops MP4 videos
as soon as you plug in the thumb drive then it connects to a hdmi 8 port
hub to serve 8 hdmi tv's.
Yes RPI can stream video very well----check the new rpi3 A+ or the zero
they are a bit smaller but I have not looked into cases or batteries for
those

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM David Schwartz <newsletters at thetoolwiz.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, but I’m looking for HARDWARE suggestions, not advice on how to
> reinvent my work habits.
>

> I did find one thing that looks promising: Asus Travelair N Wireless 1TB
> Hard Disk
>
> Does anybody know if RPi's have enough horesepower to stream a video? Can
> I fit one in a case with a battery that fits in your pocket?
>
> -David Schwartz
>

> > On Nov 16, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Aaron Jones <retro64xyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Go to your local library, mcdonalds, or anywhere with free wifi. Use a
> laptop to download the entire archive. Place on a thumb drive that also
> supports your phone. Look them up on amazon. They can do full size usb or
> type c or whatever as a combo.
> >
> > Why buy a phone to support your phone so you can phone while your phone
> acts as a server for the other phone?
> >
> >> On Nov 16, 2018, at 1:55 PM, David Schwartz <newsletters at thetoolwiz.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I recently purchased a course online, and I need to go through all of
> the materials. It’s hosted online, but is also available for download.
> >>
> >> So I just downloaded a bunch of files. They’re a combination of audio
> (MP3), video (MP4), some PDF files, and slides (PPT/PPTX).
> >>
> >> The total size exceeds my monthly data plan, and I don’t like having to
> stop and restart long videos when I have to take a break for some reason,
> because they invariably lose track of where they are and end up having to
> restart from the beginning.
> >>
> >> I’d like to be able to load them onto a small pocket-sized device that
> runs as a simple media server so I can access them from whatever device I
> have handy, without having to worry about uploading them to each device.
> There are some WiFi thumb drives, but their batteries don’t last very long,
> and I’d like to be able to put stuff on MicroSD cards that I can swap in
> and out rather than doing the whole backup/restore thing to swap files.
> >>
> >> There’s a ton of software available to run, but what hardware options
> are there?
> >>
> >> Think something like a phone or tablet with a MicroSD slot, that lets
> me run some server software and act like a media server that I could
> connect to from my phone or iPad or other mobile devices. It should have
> enough battery to run for 6 hours or so without a recharge.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> -David Schwartz

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team