How to open a text file with kwrite from a menu?

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 1 11:25:22 MST 2018

On 2017-12-31 11:21, joe at actionline.com wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2017 13:01, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
>> When I click on "notes" (using Firefox) a dialog pops up
>> that reads: "What should Firefox do with this file?"
>> (*) Open with LibreOffice Writer (default)

>> (1) What actions and what syntax could I use to open a plain text
>> document with 'kwrite' (the text editor that I use most often)?
>>
>> (2) How can I get this to work with the Chrome browser, also?
> You suggested:

> [opens the file], to read-only, but what I want to
> do is open the file in the text editor 'kwrite'.

I am not sure that firefox can do this without a lot of fooling around,
because this is way outside what firefox was designed to do.  "Open a
file with MIME type text/plain in the browser, read-only" seems to be
baked in to the application.  A number of people have wanted to do what
you're doing as seen in
https://support.mozilla.org/bn-BD/questions/738336 , but that's from
~2011 and so may not be applicable any more.

FWIW, konqueror will allow you to right-click on <a href="file.txt">a
link like so</a> and open it with kwrite.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity