Building an RPM ...

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Dec 17 12:37:52 MST 2018

On 2018-12-17 10:03, Snyder, Alexander J wrote:
> I'm trying to build an RPM package, from source.
> I'm following the suggestions of several tutorials online, but
> I keep getting errors when checking the build.

The exact text of these error messages would probably be useful.

> If I'm building it from source, how should I know what files
> will be installed, and in what directories?

./configure it with --prefix=~/scratch/ , and see what gets put into
~/scratch/ after "make install" finishes.  This only works with things
that are built with autotools, but just about everything that's not a
toy is.

> Is the "files" section required or just a courtesy so "rpm -ql" would
> work?

I believe it's required.  I have never written an RPM .spec from
scratch though, just inherited and maintained a set of custom spec files
for a while.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity