resolv.conf problem

Jim jim.nantz15 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 19:35:54 MST 2018

Today I noticed a problem when I use Thunderbird to check my email on my
Kubuntu 18.04 box.  I got  the following error in Thunderbird: Failed to
connect to imap.comcast.net  However it will connect to
imap.comcast.net.  I also couldn't ping imap.comcast.net.

delboy at ladmo:~$ ping imap.comcast.net
ping: imap.comcast.net: Name or service not known
delboy at ladmo:~$

In Network manager I have  the following DNS servers in this order:
192.168.1.4 192.168.1.1, 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4.  I found this in /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 127.0.0.53

If I change 127.0.0.53 to one of the DNS servers I have in Network
Manager, Thunderbird works again, but I'm not able to ping
imap.comcast.net. I get the same error I mentioned earlier.  I really
don't care if I can ping it or not as long as Thunderbird can connect to
it.   However when I reboot or restart Network Manager, resolv.conf goes
back to 127.0.0.3.

Is there some bug with Network Manager or has comcast manged to screw up
something?

thanks