Kubuntu 18.04 and HDMI

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Aug 29 23:05:07 MST 2018

That sucks. I have had really weird issues with various rigs, last the DP
to HDMI adapters I use on my main setup, that are somewhat randomly
stopping working upon wakeup to only allow base resolution, but exacerbate
further with certain DE's quickly (ahem, kde), and other wise happens
across all others DE's too (more slowly at least) to really place blame
between hardware or software.  Sounds like you're there too with weird/bad
hardware.  I'd say your video card is being funky if not your cable or
monitor.

I had an older geforce in my home theater pc that would flake out
occasionally that I could only blame it for in the end  Replacing it fixed
many issues replacing it I found later.  Maybe try switching the hdmi/dvi
with adapter, I would not be surprised if one phy or another died on the
video card.

-mb