Best practices while running a backup script as root.

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Sep 21 19:26:47 MST 2017

Hi,

I have one PHP Script using the AWS S3 SDK that I have configured to
backup each site on a vps.  I need to run it as root because of
permission issues.  What is the best practice in this type of situation?

The server is running Ubuntu 16.04 and Plesk 17.5.

Should I place all the backup files in the /root directory or create
another directly such as /backups owned by root?  I think I may have
answered my own question with /backups owned by root.

Thank you for your guidance!!

Keith