new thread: QoS, latency, bandwidth and the FCC/net neutrality debate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Nov 27 22:43:56 MST 2017

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 20:11:02 -0700
Eric Oyen <eric.oyen at icloud.com> wrote:

> The days of
> dialup internet are also long gone. who would spend $19 a month for
> 56k when you can get that price point on 1 Mbit service?

Many people way out in the country have no wired connection except
phone lines, 56k, and if that's all they've got, they'll pay their
$50/month for it (no alternative, remember?).

But more to the point, today's average website takes 5 minutes to load
on dialup. I'm proud that most pages on Troubleshooters.Com still
load reasonably well on dialup. Perhaps that doesn't improve my bottom
line, but I think it makes me a good citizen.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust