new thread: QoS, latency, bandwidth and the FCC/net neutrality debate

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Nov 25 09:29:13 MST 2017

Most network devices these days, including wireless, firewalls, as well as
you standard routers and switches tend to do layer 4 and up application
inspection, primarily for creating policies like "limit youtube|netflix to
1mbps", "block peer to peer traffic", and "limit google to safe search
only" that muck with your content when at work, school, anywhere you have
an network admin like Herminio or I trying to keep users from doing things
to break the network, or at least them all at once doing so.

Early on, Netflix and Youtube grew to be behemoth network hogs for
providers, so rather than let storming elephants trample the village, they
would "queue" that traffic so it wouldn't overrun more important things,
like normal web browsing and more perceptible use cases (still likely do).
As Stephen said, they eventually got smarter, or Netflix did, to peer
directly with the mega providers, and put local content distribution nodes
directly into them on 100gb switches so they didn't have to slaughter your
traffic (and take the bad press eventually in being the internet cop ala
comcast).

Is this really what the net neutrality debate is about anymore?  No,
politicians don't care about internet speeds, it's really about media
consolidation occurring that you will be pretty much left with att,
comcast, and news corp for all television, internet, phone, and news in
general.  What could go wrong, other than enabling maniacal billionaires to
buy their way into the white house.

-mb