Amazon EC2 cloud desktop

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Thu Nov 23 12:09:37 MST 2017

I think what you are seeking is how to utilize X as it was originally
written.... A lost art my friend.

For those unaware, X does not work like Windows systems.  Any X based
application issues commands as a X client, that is sent to a X server.
When you are on your local machine, these machines are the same, and the
protocol is hidden my going across localhost.  On Windows based machines,
program write by callings APIs in the OS that ALWAYS write to the local
machine.  The result is, that Linux does not require video on the local
box, just the X client.  You can, unlike a Windows box, have your programs
write directly to your remote connection!  If your X client is connected to
your X server over say SSH, via port 6000 (fisrt screen, 6001 for second
monitor, etc), your Linux desktop can display on your local X server (for
Windows desktop use MobaXterm), while running at AWS.

See
https://comtechies.com/how-to-set-up-gui-on-amazon-ec2-ubuntu-server.html
for a how to.

Enjoy