Debian Stable vs Ubuntu LTS vs Others for a NAS

Tue Nov 21 13:16:17 MST 2017

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to try and use OpenMediaVault. It seems to be my ideal choice for these reasons:

1. Debian based, and relatively recent version (Debian Jessie, with plans to move to Debian Stretch soon), and I'm most comfortable with Debian based distros.

Installation of OMV allows either an automated install on a USB stick or hard drive, or install Debian first and OMV on top of it.

2. Because it is Debian based, I know it will support my wireless adapter (with non-free firmware). Driver support for other distros (ie Fedora/CentOS) is unclear.
3. FreeNAS does not support wireless adapters out of the box (and doesn't seem to play nice with wireless in the first place, from what I'm reading).

Points 2 and 3 are important. A wifi setup for my use-case is required (I'm willing to accept performance penalties). NAS4Free seems to support wireless setups, but I don't have the funds (nor the patience) to hunt down a supported adapter at this time.

Bonus:

4. OMV (and by extension Debian Jessie) does support ZFS filesystems through plugin support. Debian supports Btrfs also, and as long as you avoid raid5/6 it is pretty stable and safe these days

One can hope that one day the ZFS license will be made GPL compatible, and the Linux kernel will support it natively. Oh well. Until then there are workarounds.

Cheers

Matt