Scriptsheets

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:51:33 MST 2017

Right, it's not scripting using a classic programming environment, like
VBA, the BASIC that comes with LibreOffice, or  Python.

The idea is that you extend the spreadsheet idiom to program the
spreadsheet from a sheet or virtual workbook in the spreadsheet without
leaving the spreadsheet to work in a classical imperative programming
environment like VBA or Python.

  |A               | B              | C              |
1|PARAMETERS(B1,C1)|<put input here>|<put input here>|
2|                 |                |                |
3|RETURN(B1*C1)    |                |                |
FUNCTION SHEET("MY_FUNCTION")

You have data, it's a spreadsheet.
The moral equivalent of sequence is referencing another cell, including one
that contains a function.
You have selection with the IF() function.
With the addition of just two keywords, PARAMETERS and RETURN you have real
functions.
You have looping with functions calling themselves (recursion), and
possibly circular references.

My understanding is that's a complete programming paradigm.

Trent.