OT: Need a Campaign to Secure WIFI Sites

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Mar 20 13:55:58 MST 2017

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Victor Odhner <vodhner at cox.net>
> wrote:
>> I’m really annoyed that so many companies offer open WIFI when it
>> would be
>> so easy to secure those hot spots.  Restaurants, hotels, and the
>> waiting
>> rooms of auto dealerships are almost 100% open.
[snip]
On 2017-03-20 13:20, Stephen Partington wrote:
> This is usually done as a means to be easy for their customers.

Pretty much this.  Convenience is more valuable than security in most
people's minds.

>> they’d be happy to do the right thing if we could explain it to the
>> right people.

I'm not sure this would happen.  Setting up passwords and then
distributing those passwords has a non-zero cost and offers zero visible
benefits for most of the people who are using the wireless networks.[0]
And as another poster said, what about football/baseball stadiums?
Distributing passwords to tens of thousands of people is sort of
difficult.  "Just watching the game" is not an option; people want to
FaceTweet pictures of themselves at the game.

OTOH, the last time I looked at the access points visible from my
living room, almost all of them had some sort of access control enabled.
Maybe there's a social convention forming that "my access point" ~= "my
back yard" and "open access point" ~= "a public park"?

[0] Having a more educated user population would make the benefits more
visible, but it's very difficult to make people care about these things.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity