Linux EFI?

Nadim Hoque nadimhoque at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 02:01:48 MST 2017

My question is do you have this ability in BIOS? All EFI is the boot code
for the mother board so that it can initialize the hardware and boot the
os. Yes there is a command line interface if the manufacturer decided to
put one in. The purpose of UEFI was to over come some of the limitations of
BIOS (particularly the 2tb boot partition limitation).To be honest the
reason one would need to really interact with it these days is to change
the boot order or to over clock the CPU. Essentially EFI simply replaced
BIOS as the boot code for the computer

Regarding the recovery, yes there should be a way to recover the UEFI code
on the computer. You would have to go to the manufactures website and
download the boot able iso with the UEFI binaries on it. You might have to
dig a little bit because most sites will list the updates and not the full
image. Technically speaking the flash memory is to store the main EFI code
but there is a small portion that is read only with the sole purpose of
booting a CD-ROM to install the full UEFI image. The only issue is again
the manufacture has to supply the image and in the worst case you do not
find it you might need to contact support to get it, if you can.

PS. I used UEFI and EFI interchangably because they are pretty much the
same thing.

Nadim Hoque