Linux EFI?

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Sat Mar 11 15:30:38 MST 2017

Steve, the wiki article does explain a lot, but there is no real support for blind IT personnel in it, let alone any support for those of us who are just plain computer users with some advanced skills.

It's a nice command line interface that has a lot of the usual basic linux/unix utilities and programs, but no speech or braille support.

Right now, I am composing a letter to the UEFI forum members in hopes that someone over there might listen and do some research. I am even offering some suggestions on how this can be done (given my experience with Ubuntu and Vinux respectively, it can be done). My only difficulty is that I am not a coder

Now, the wiki doesn't specifically stipulate what OS the UEFI is based on (and yes, its a bit more than a bios and less than a real full blown OS). what I do know is that it has a kernel, some basic utilities and a user interface. As far as I am concerned, thats a basic OS if there ever was one.

so, this is what I want to do and it's the reason behind my original question. Making the UEFI accessible to those of us who are blind and working in the tech sector would certainly improve our capabilities as employees. It would be built-in accommodation without adding a lot of expense to the hardware.

So, with that being said, would it be possible? Given all the technology available, I say yes. So, what about the rest of you?

-eric
from the central office of the Technomage Guild, access technology dept.