Microsoft has created an A.I. that can write its own code

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Mar 10 17:57:35 MST 2017

I think you are right.  I think we are looking at Terminator.  All the
info coming out about how tech has been compromised.

I once read that prior to technology an oppressive king might have one
of his people contact you once a month.  With technology the oppressive
king can watch you daily or even more often.

Just think Cyberdyne is right here in Chandler.

I hope we can learn, grow and do good things.

On 2017-03-10 15:21, Vara La Fey wrote:
> More Terminator than Logan's Run. (But great movies, both of them.)
>
> Autopilot cars are a perfect example. A convenient novelty in the
> near-term. Mandatory in the long-term.
>
> Now imagine a mandatory autopilot that can look you up in a national
> ID database and then write its own code about what it "thinks" you
> should be allowed to do thereafter.
>
> When people give up their autonomy, their freedom and ultimately their
> lives can go with it.
>
> You know who should be having a career resurgence right about now?
> Yeah, sci-fi authors. But people aren't thoughtful enough to support
> that kind of thing anymore.
>

> On 3/10/2017 8:21 AM, Keith Smith wrote:
>>
>> There will always be opportunity it just shifts.  As we talked about
>> in a prior thread, once upon a time you could get a good manufacturing
>> job with little skill. Today you want a good paying job you have to
>> learn a skill like A/C, plumbing, etc.
>>
>> When I went to Disneyland 15 years ago some of the rides were
>> "automated", moving the seating platform and changing the display so
>> you actually felt like you were moving.  Someone had to assemble that
>> ride.  Someone had to engineer it.  Someone had to manufacture it.
>> And someone had to transport it.
>>
>> In the greater scheme of things, things have not changed much in 15
>> years.  The new minimum wage may make some alternatives more viable,
>> such as McDonald's replacing it's order taking staff with automated
>> ordering.  Someone will need to create those automated ordering
>> devices.  This is a shift in skills.
>>
>> Maybe at some point in the future we will become the Jetsons... and
>> I'm pretty sure I will be dead by then.
>>
>> If we continue to replace people with robots, then at some point our
>> economy will crash.  At that point maybe the movie logan's run becomes
>> a reality.  In the movie logan's run people are give a short life span
>> of about 30 years.  Once they reach 30 they enter "renewal"  which is
>> like a big bug zapper.
>>
>> Is logan's run our future?
>>

>> On 2017-03-10 00:19, trent shipley wrote:
>>> A while ago I heard a futurist say that if you wanted your kid to
>>> make
>>> money in the future, they should pursue a creative career. He
>>> expected
>>> technology jobs to go the way of manufacturing jobs -- automated out
>>> of existence.  The up side is that owners of capital will make MUCH
>>> higher profits, while consumers of IT will save some money. Also,
>>> access to IT should be more democratic since it will not rely as much
>>> on left brain thinking and scarce training.
>>>
>>> Microsoft is hardly alone in trying to make administrators and
>>> programmers obsolete, and the repressive leftist politics or
>>> dystopian
>>> fear mongering strike me as burying the lead--especially if you are a
>>> technologist whose job is in the cross-hairs of economic and
>>> technical
>>> history.

> [...]

Keith Smith