(OT) Gmail Account Hacked - what else should I do?

Matthew Crews mattcrews at mattcrews.com
Mon Jan 16 15:37:57 MST 2017

I'll start with the obvious.

1. Change her password. Use something fairly complex and UNIQUE, do not
reuse an existing password.

1a. Download a password manager and change ALL passwords. I would ALMOST
recommend using this for Google, but Google is one of those services you
need to memorize the password for.

2. Enable 2FA. I presume you are using a cell phone that has text messaging
support. Enable 2 factor authentication with her Google account, either
with SMS or with their authentication app.

3. Enable 2FA. Seriously, if a service has that option, use it

4. Install some virus scanners and look for malware. The most likely reason
her account was hacked, besides password reuse, is a drive-by malware
install from web advertising.

4a. A full reformat of her PC is recommended. I would use a Linux tool like
DD or Shred to completely wipe the HD, boot sector included.

5. Fully update her system. This includes OS updates, software updates,
driver updates, etc.

6. install ad-block or similar software, and/or uninstall Flash and Java,
to limit or eliminate this attack vecto

7. If your wife is not tech savvy, now would be a good opportunity to teach
her general safe practices for surfing the web.

8. Don't exclude the possibility of malware on her smart phone, if she has
one. If it's an old Android or iOS phone that no longer received OS
updates, I recommend tossing it and buy something that receives them still.

Those are the basics.