Offline

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartm.com
Tue Jan 3 12:41:09 MST 2017

Excellent step-by-step!  +100 upvotes! ;-)

The only thing I’d add is that, if you can get an external IP address (e.g. 204.110.11.131 (inficad.com - don’t ask) or 216.58.194.206 (one possible value for google.com) and then do a traceroute -n to that address, you can see (without needing DNS) if the packets get out, and how far they get if they don’t get all the way out….

So, “traceroute -n 216.58.194.206”

Unfortunately, traceroute is not always installed by default - GO DO THAT NOW!!! ;-) Since when you need it, you won’t be able to get it!