How to restore inactive monitor turn-off?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed Feb 8 18:29:12 MST 2017

There are several instances, usually involving playing video, where the
system turns off the monitor's sleep settings.  It does this because
it's really annoying to have to keep waking up your computer while
watching a long video because you because you haven't touched it for a
while.
I find that when my monitor will no longer go to sleep that I've left a
video paused in the background or a video player crashed while showing a
video and therefor  never had a chance to restore the sleep settings.

In any case, you can most likely get everything working again by just
logging out and back in.

I've found that once turned off, you can change/update the setting in
the GUI all you want, but it won't cause the sleep setting to be turned
back on.

If you want to turn the settings back on by hand do:

Check if they are off in the first place.
xset -q
Looks for a section that looks like:

DPMS (Energy Star):
   Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
   DPMS is Disabled

If it looks like the above, then your DPMS setting are turned off and
your monitor will never go to sleep.

You can turn them back on by doing:
xset +dpms

and you can set the sleep settings with:
xset dpms 600 600 600

The above values will turn your monitor off after 5 minutes.  The first
value is the standby time, the second is the suspend time and the third
is the off time.

If you want to switch your monitor off instantly you can do:
xset dpms force off

Brian Cluff