Anyone here run their own email server for personal use?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 18 23:22:27 MST 2017

Am 16. Dec, 2017 schwätzte kitepilot at kitepilot.com so:

moin moin,

> I have been running postfix-spamassassin-courier-MySQL for years.

postfix-postgrey-spamassassin-dovecot here.

I used to switch every year between exim and postfix, but got lazy and
haven't gotten to switching it recently.

I have used a couple different IMAP servers as well.

SMTP such as postfix and exim is pretty easy, look for guides on dealing
with spam, joejobs, etc.

IMAP seems to always be unnecessarily complicated. Mostly, look for the
stuff you need to change and ignore the rest. Do turn of POP if you're not
using it.

I still get spam. Meh.

Sub-addressing, in addition to spamassassin, helps with some of that. Too
much pre-sub-addressing history in my case.

ciao,

der.hans

> There are 91246215+1 tutorials on line.
> They will all be painful...   :)
> I run my server over LFS, nothing more 'raw' than that.
> It ain't that difficult.
> Until something goes wrong...
> I'll be around, if you ask any question you will get any answer...   :)
> ET
>
> Andrew McRobb writes:
>> Hello, everyone!
>> I was thinking of running my own email server for personal use and maybe a
>> PBX system using FreeSwitch (also to avoid spam phone calls) in my
>> min-farm. Google surprisingly bad at detecting spam, and I know I could
>> maybe throw together a simple SMTP setup perhaps using something already
>> made or throw something together in Erlang. -- Just like the ability to
>> control every aspect of the server, IMHO. Anyone have experience in this
>> department, that could give me any tips?
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>
>> Andrew McRobb
>> Full-time Software Developer
>> Part-time Freelancer

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  Practice socially conscious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans