Rsync ran like 30-40 minutes

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Apr 29 14:39:11 MST 2017

Sounds like your drive may have developed some bad blocks and formatting
it caused it to recover... but I wouldn't use that drive for backups
anymore because it's dying and it's only a matter of a short amount of
time before it fails and you loose everything.   In fact, I wouldn't use
a thumb drive for backups at all.  They aren't designed to be written to
in bulk over and over like you are trying to do and they will fail
quickly.  Get yourself a good external drive.   You should go with a
regular spinning drive as there are no advantages to backing up to flash
over USB.  A flash drive will fail a lot more quickly than a spinning
drive with the way you are using them though.  You'll also get a whole
lot more space on a hard disk drive so you can alter your backup
procedure to keep multiple versions.

Brian Cluff