GNU/Linux

IscreamKid iscreamkid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:36:10 MST 2017

Hmmm, technically not quite right.

First there was UNIX which split off to BSD.
Linus emulated UNIX on a PC.
A kernel is the interface between the hardware and the operating system.
Each machine with different hardware needs a different kernel to mate with the hardware.
Each operating system needs a different interface to match the operating system's requirements / design.
Android has totally different hardware platform compared to a PC, compared to a Mac, compared to a DEC, or whatever.
If the programmer writes his interface to function like Linux but match each different platform's hardware then you can the Linux OS utilities and such on that hardware platform. They will be the same, functionally, if the programmer fully implements the complete interface.
Practically, there is almost always something that is or has to be done differently.

That is why programmers get gray hairs and burn out.