Wifi adapter

Jerry Snitselaar dev at snitselaar.org
Fri Apr 7 22:32:29 MST 2017

Stephen M @ 2017-04-08 00:55 GMT:

> Hi everyone,
>
> This seems really dumb but I have a wifi adapter from TP-Link on a Ubuntu
> 14.04 machine that disconnects after reboot or a system update.  I keep
> typing insmod to get it to turn back on.  I know I need to do modprobe but
> it can't find the file.
>
> I downloaded the driver from their site, unzipped it in my download folder
> though I think I need to move it.  Any help would be grateful.

modprobe can't load it because it knows nothing about the driver.

Try:

sudo cp *downloaded-module* /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/
sudo depmod -a

You will still run into the issue each time a new kernel is installed,
and since the driver isn't tied to the kernel you are running there can
be incompatibilities that cause issues. if you do run into issues with
it, you can blacklist it on the kernel parameters line when booting.
'module_blacklist=module_name' should work.

What driver is it using?