update systemd

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 29 18:06:49 MST 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 12:43:49 -0700
Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net> wrote:

> : Begin Rant

[snip]

> SystemD should be restricted to it's INIT
> functions, dump the horrible non-standard logging, drop all of the
> service replacements (or spin them into separate services), and get
> laser-focused on getting that INIT service bullet-proof,

But if systemd were restricted to PID1 plus a process starter, what
would differentiate it from very nice INITs like runit, s6, and Epoch?

[snip]

> I think the entire RedHat organization (and the professional
> open-source community in general) might need a refresher course on
> operating system design, particularly focusing on microkernel
> architectures and the how/why those are inherently more secure (also
> why the tradeoffs involved don't work as well in Ring-0 kernel space
> as they do in Ring-3 user space).

This would be counterproductive for Redhat. Please remember they make
their money on consulting, certs and education: Three services that
lose value as the underlying system becomes easier to use and
comprehend. Read
http://asay.blogspot.ru/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html
and search for the first occurrence of the word "complexity" and you'll
hear, straight from the horse's mouth, why they'll never make systemd a
simple PID1 plus process runner.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28