HP Promises Fix for Printer Software

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Thu Sep 29 11:58:04 MST 2016

Flaxman said HP will continue to use authentication measures to protect its intellectual property "and the quality of our customer experience." But he wrote, "We should have done a better job of communicating about the authentication procedure to customers, and we apologize.”

Sounds like they’re just going to make you jump through hoops every time you want to print something with what they regard as an “unauthorized” ink product, instead of just blocking you entirely.

I’d expect a popup to appear every time you print something that says your printer is using an unauthorized ink product and warning you that it could damage your printer, along with a button to order new replacement cartriges from HP directly. So expect retailers to get pissed-off next.

Can you imagine having to buy gas and oil at a gas station branded for your vehicle?

Personally, I don’t know why anybody uses ink-based printers. Toner-based printers don’t dry out, generally produce far better results, and in the long-run are typically much cheaper cost-per-page to operate.

-David Schwartz