update systemd

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 28 23:45:02 MST 2016

Am 28. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Stephen M so:

moin moin Stephen,

yeah, I'm not pissed that there's a bug. In fact, the fix was committed
rather quickly.

I do think there's merit to thinking about some of the guy's points as
they apply to a particular environment.

Granted, the kernel is run in the same "memory-unsafe language" he's
complaining about and has more than root access :).

ciao,

der.hans

> Well that would definitely be a problem but it does give people chances to
> fix things and grow.  So if we didn't have problems like systemd pausing,
> though never tried this before on my Fedora system with systemd.  It does
> give developer and other computer enthusiast a challenge to solve.  What
> would the world be like if everything was perfect and nothing ever fail out
> of sync.  This will just be something that someone new coming into the work
> of Linux learns and adapts to.
>
> I'm sure there are stories of before with the introduction of  init, SysV,
> Berkeley standard, so it's bond to happen again.
>
> Thanks Hans for the great articles.
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 04:19:37 +0000 (UTC)
>> "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> an important systemd fix is on it's way into distributions.
>>>
>>> https://marc.ttias.be/oss-security/2016-09/msg00243.php
>>>
>>> The following article has a click-bait title :(, but some salient
>>> things to consider for systemd.
>>>
>>> https://www.agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet
>>
>> I fixed systemd by switching to Void Linux, which uses the runit init
>> system.
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt
>> September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride