Macbook Pro 8,2 (radeon Hybrid graphics and Ubuntu 16.04)

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:23:21 MST 2016

I have been working at this for the better part of the day.

i can get booted into installation by modifying grub.conf on the
installation USB i am using. (see
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2157775.html) this allows me
to install. And side-stepping the lack of wifi support was easy with a
Cisco WirelessN usb dongle, so i now have updated kernel and the like as
well as the BCM wireless chipset.

the issue i am still running into is a graceful way to get the hybrid
graphics running.

the system is 100% linux Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. but i have no screen because
of the weird hybrid graphics issues. the challenge is i cannot dig up and
modify a grub.conf in this scenario because the system is set up to boot
via UEFI and it does this well.

How can i get a command line long enough to configure graphics? I would
assume passing args to UEFI is key, but what am i modifying?

supplimental:
http://heeris.id.au/2014/ubuntu-plus-mac-pure-efi-boot/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/184406/how-to-switch-between-gfx-cards-on-macbook-pro-15-8-2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy (I am not sure how
useful this one is, It was suggested per some of my other reading)

Stephen