using PHP 5.6 and PHP 7 on same web server

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Sep 27 09:41:42 MST 2016

On 2016-09-26 20:24, Keith Smith wrote:
> I need to test using PHP 5.6 and PHP 7. I have a computer that I will
> be configuring as a test server.  I will make [it] public facing
> periodically - just for testing and for a short time.  I want to use
> Ubuntu 16.4.
>
> Is there any way to configure one server to give access to two
> different versions of PHP, possibly by some Apache config?

I tried to have apache load modules for PHP 5.6 and 7 at the same time
and got segfaults for my trouble.  It's probably also not possible to
associate .php files with both versions of the module at the same time.

That said, there's probably a reasonable way to make this work.  Copy
the apache config that's currently working to a separate directory, like
/etc/httpd2/ .  Go into that dir and change the Listen port to something
other than 80, like 81.  Change the PHP configuration such that it loads
the PHP 7 module instead of the 5.6 module.  Change the ServerRoot to
/etc/httpd2 .  Change the PidFile to run/httpd2.pid .  Fix the Log
directives such that httpd2 isn't writing to the same log files as the
first httpd.  Then you can start this alternate apache up with
"apachectl -f /etc/httpd2/conf/httpd.conf", and view how everything
looks in PHP 7 on http://servername:81/whatever.php .  (Or there'll be
something I've forgotten, and it'll barf and write stuff to the error
log....)

This is kind of a pain, but it should work properly for testing stuff.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity