MySQL remote exploit

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Sep 12 12:33:58 MST 2016

Am 12. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Herminio Hernandez Jr. so:

moin moin,

> Basically they mirror the repos. So when it hits debian I will upgrade.

Ah, OK.

You might also want to create a couple of empty files and lock them down.

$datadir can be exploited, so pre-emptively putting empty conf files in
there that can't be changed by mysql is a good idea.

The following is for anyone with questions on locking down the config
files in $datadir.

Presuming $datadir is /var/lib/mysql either of the following will lock
down the files when run as root, but the first will destroy files you
might already have.

# >/var/lib/mysq/my.cnf
# >/var/lib/mysq/.my.cnf
# chmod 000 /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf

Or, with some minimal verification that it's safe...

# for file in /var/lib/mysq/{.,}my.cnf; do
 	if [ ! -e $file ] ; then
 		>$file
 		chmod 000 $file
 		ls -l $file
 	else
 		ls -l $file
 		echo "You might want to check on that"
 	fi
done

ciao,

der.hans

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 12, 2016, at 12:00 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 12. Sep, 2016 schwätzte Herminio Hernandez Jr. so:
>>
>> moin moin,
>>
>>> Thanks have some SQL in DO droplets. Will be looking for this.
>>
>> Will DigitalOcean automagically apply the patches for you?
>>
>> I would expect it's in their best interest.
>>
>> I'm certain DreamHost is already upgraded. GoDaddy is probably rolling it
>> out already, but I no longer know anyone on the team over there, so am not
>> sure how quick they will be.
>>
>> This is admittedly one of the advantages of cloud. The infrastructure
>> providers can centrally test and roll out for everyone. The disadvantage
>> is if it's something that affects you, but they don't know or care about
>> it :).
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
>> #  "You go to Afghanistan and you swallow enough dust that you'll pass an
>> #  adobe brick." -- Robin Williams, 03Aug2006

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Rock 'n' roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you dance
#  all over them." -- Pete Townsend