4 cores and 8 threads

Tom Jones tomjones at centurylink.net
Tue Sep 6 19:28:28 MST 2016

I have to answer these sorts of questions at work from time to time. Hyperthreading, for some reason, really throws people for a loop, no pun intended.

Each "core" on a modern processor chip is, or would be if we could separate them, a CPU in it's own right. So if you have a four core CPU, that's actually four physical processors on a single chunk of silicon.

Hyper-threading is done within a given core to make it appear as two cores. More or less it's a way to stuff the chip's execution pipelines so that two threads are interlaced and the CPU utilization is higher than when running a single thread. I'm sure someone on the list could come up with a better analogy, but that's all I got right now. Enabling hyperthreading is usually done at the BIOS level. To the OS it appears as two cores. So a four core processor with hyperthreading enabled will look like an eight core processor to the OS.

At no time does the CPU divide itself from 64 to 32 bit subunits. If it is a 64 bit CPU with hyperthreading turned off, then it is a 64 bit CPU with hyperthreading turned on. Whether your programs are running as 64 or 32 bit will depend mostly on how they're compiled.