firefox keeps crashing

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartm.com
Mon Oct 31 12:43:46 MST 2016

I did an strace of firefox on my Mint 17 x64 system, and I'm going to guess that Joe's pc is running 32bit Mint, but I'm guessing.

I'm not entirely sure, but it LOOKS like you may be having trouble reading your ~joe/.Xauthority file.  Look at around line 1206.  Mine, while having a lot of differences (due to you starting in safe mode, and being on a 32-bit AFAICT), the logs stay pretty close up to there, then it gets into a very long EAGAIN loop, which finally ends with 'shutdown(6,2)'.

However, it goes a long way after that looking like its sort of working (again, hard to tell given that I'm reading logs between a 64-bit and 32-bit Mint, and one firefox in normal mode and one in safe mode).  Finally, around line 48,351 it gets VERY different, and I see a 'SIGSEGV.  It seems to be related to file descriptor 4, which seems to perhaps be related to the X display.

So, what does 'ls -ld ~joe/.Xauthority' say?  Mine is about 353 bytes. Mode 600, owned by me.  How about yours?