NVMe SSD's

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:33:16 MST 2016

My current server is using a 128GB SSD caching for a 1t 5400 rpm drive.
Right now i am at about 400GB of data on that combination, and the SSD is
sitting at about 50-60% utilization. which is about as expected as some of
the data is touched infrequently and some of it is used all the time.

So i would say it is performing pretty well for my current desired use. I
am tempted to set this sort of configuration up in a desktop/laptop
scenario and seeing how it works there.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Michael Butash <mike at butash.net> wrote:

> Good to know - I was contemplating doing this with some spinners in it for
> bulk storage, as I have some 2tb's left over now. Peeling off some of those
> 512's to cache for the spinners might make them more useful so I don't have
> to burn space on the ssd's exclusively.
>
> How much ssd do you end up using per tb of space?  I don't want to lose a
> lot of space on the ssd's, and plan to run the base os and usr/home space
> from ssd, really I just want to back vm space if necessary on them.
>
> The other thought was just using memory as a tmp cache with ramdisk.  I'm
> going into it with 128gb as only having 32 has been causing me issues
> lately.  If the caching doesn't require more than say 32gb, might be
> interesting to try caching to tmpfs instead.  Been a notion of mine to try
> for grins.
>
> -mb
>

> On 10/27/2016 05:42 PM, Stephen Partington wrote:
>

>> I still want to try dmraid-1 plus nvme drive with lvmcache.
>>
>> PS SSD based lvmcache has been running well for me.

Stephen