install grub

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 11:48:03 MST 2016

get a super grub cd and have it repair and reinstall grub.

Grub has two parts, it's bootsector/EFI area and it's configs.  The configs
exist on a regular drive partition and handle all the multi-boot stuff.
The bootsector / EFI stuff really only knows how to point to drives.
You could probably type in something along the lines of:
root (hd0)
chainloader +1
boot

and have it get you into windows, because that's all you're missing is the
conf file telling grub that's a valid boot directive.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Michael <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> what it does is opens a "minimal BASH-like line editing" thing with:
>      grub>
> being the first line when I don't have the external drive plugged in. I
> typed in 'ls' and the response (when the thumb drive is inserted) was:
>      (hd0) (hd0,msdos) (hd1) (hd1,gpt4) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1)
>
> without the thumb drive it is:
>      (hd0)  (hd1) (hd1,gpt4) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) error:
> failure\
>           reading sector 0x3aefff0  from `hd0'
>      error: failure reading sector 0x3aeff80  from `hd0'
>      error: failure reading sector 0x0 from `hd0'
>
>  So how can I install  grub where it belongs in hd0?
>

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Todd Millecam <tyggna at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Check your bios boot order and ensure the proper hard drive is set
>> first.  It's the same as hitting f12 and selecting one, only in your bios
>> settings you can set the default.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Michael <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay..... I can still boot into windows. I have to press f12 and load it
>>> from that menu but it will load. Any way I can restore the laptop to the
>>> way it was when I first got it and then I'll put 17.3 on. Any comments on
>>> what I can do?

>>> --

>> --
>> Todd Millecam