Backblaze, was: Best backup for VPS + nas

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Oct 25 14:26:27 MST 2016

Stephen Partington[1]
> https://secure.backblaze.com/buy.htm

I'd appreciate someone enlightening me regarding Backblaze's business model. Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but when I see ...

https://secure.backblaze.com/buy.htm
> Unlimited Data for your Mac and PC. [5 $/mo, 50 $/yr.] Prices are per computer.

... my bullshit meter pegs. I'm guessing Backblaze's reasoning/practice is like that pioneered by various ISPs and telcos who promise "unlimited data" transfers to users: if any particular user's data transfers exceed some threshold, throttle their data rate. A data storage provider would modify that to something like, "sure, you can *try* to store more than [threshold quantity] of data here, but your backup transfer rate will go to hell, and restore? fuggedaboudit."

Or am I just ignorant of some great technological advance made, and of the service to humanity provided, by Backblaze?

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://lists.phxlinux.org/lurker/message/20161025.155052.ef4e20fc.en.html