install linux on an external drive

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:19:59 MST 2016

okay.... I think it is a hardware issue. I plug the external drive into my
linux box and it does not see the drive. I plug it in correctly into thw
windows 10 box and it sees itso.... everythhing is working so far. I just
need to burn mint onto a USB stick and everything should be good.
Apparently the usb will burn from windows but I'll find out when everything
is done. Or else perhaps the old hardware on my linux box has something to
do with it..... but that box is only 6 years old!

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> On 2016-10-24 08:58, Carruth, Rusty wrote:
>
>> NOTE! WARNING! BEWARE!!! DD will almost certainly copy the UUID from
>> the source partition to the destination partition! I do NOT know what
>> havoc will result when linux looks for that UUID and finds 2…. (I’d
>> guess it takes the first one it finds
>>

> Yes, mount goes through all the block devices probably starting with the
> first SCSI disk.  If it's looking for a UUID and finds it on /dev/sda3,
> that's the one it'll use, even if the same UUID is on /dev/sdb1 .  I
> think.  IIRC, the label detection code in mount did that the last time I
> looked at it.
>
> (I know about the UUID copy because I do that here at work all the
>> time. In my case, it’s a feature. In your case, it’s a bug)
>>

> If you know you want to have the same UUID on 2 filesystems, you can use
> "dumpe2fs -h /dev/sdNN | grep UUID" , then pass the big hex string to the
> -U option of mkfs when you're making the new filesystem.  Or the -U option
> of tune2fs if you've already done mkfs and copied stuff.
>
> IMHO, using filesystem labels is preferable to using UUIDs in /etc/fstab
> .  Labels can be made short and meaningful to humans, while UUIDs really
> can't.  (OK, -U feedface-dead-beef-0000-123456789abc works, but is
> silly.)  Distros probably go the UUID route because it's generally easy to
> assume that UUIDs are unique, while filesystem labels may not be.
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity
> But only Light too dim for us to see.