Best backup for VPS + nas

Anon Anon lokotejones at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:52:38 MST 2016

Any one have a recommendation for backing up three VPS and a 2tb nas?

Glacier is too expensive for retrieval. Back blaze good?

On 2016-10-24 08:58, Carruth, Rusty wrote:

> NOTE! WARNING! BEWARE!!! DD will almost certainly copy the UUID from
> the source partition to the destination partition! I do NOT know what
> havoc will result when linux looks for that UUID and finds 2…. (I’d
> guess it takes the first one it finds

Yes, mount goes through all the block devices probably starting with the
first SCSI disk.  If it's looking for a UUID and finds it on /dev/sda3,
that's the one it'll use, even if the same UUID is on /dev/sdb1 .  I
think.  IIRC, the label detection code in mount did that the last time I
looked at it.

(I know about the UUID copy because I do that here at work all the
> time. In my case, it’s a feature. In your case, it’s a bug)

If you know you want to have the same UUID on 2 filesystems, you can use
"dumpe2fs -h /dev/sdNN | grep UUID" , then pass the big hex string to the
-U option of mkfs when you're making the new filesystem.  Or the -U option
of tune2fs if you've already done mkfs and copied stuff.

IMHO, using filesystem labels is preferable to using UUIDs in /etc/fstab .
Labels can be made short and meaningful to humans, while UUIDs really
can't.  (OK, -U feedface-dead-beef-0000-123456789abc works, but is silly.)
Distros probably go the UUID route because it's generally easy to assume
that UUIDs are unique, while filesystem labels may not be.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity