install linux on an external drive

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:05:56 MST 2016

here is a slight snafu.... if I dd  everything copies exactly as is. My /
and /home are on separate directories. I suppose before i reboot I would
just erase everything in fstab. I should probably do a swap file instead of
swap drive on the external.  No? How should I tell it to use the external
drive for the swap file? In fstab?

# swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=b45d28c4-edc6-4f9a-a80b-144e20197cf8 none            swap    sw

no. I guess I will use a swap drive after all. So before I dd I will need
to partition the external  How do I discover the UUID that has been
assigned to the drive. so I can put it in fstab after I run dd?

--