linux distros

Stephen M smelheim85 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 21:45:14 MST 2016

It also depends what are trying to do.  Like everyone says it is something
to play around with but not get into the nidy-gridy of things I suggest
something from the Ubuntu or maybe CentOS familes.  You want to learn more
about how to build up a Linux box, you're looking for Gentoo, Arch, or
LFS.  Another important question is what type of device are you looking to
play with?  If it's a Pi then you can look at Rasberry or something
similar.  There are a dozen of distros out there for desktop and servers.
So create a list of things you are looking for that will be of great help
to narrow down what your looking for.

Or you can just go to ditrowatch and play enny-minny-moo :D

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2016 10:02 AM, "mike enriquez" <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have experience with Red Hat and Ubuntu and I am looking for
>>> another Distro to load on an other computer.  Any of you have a
>>> recommendation for a Distro that you like?
>>>
>> On 2016-10-10 09:08, Kevin Fries wrote:
>
>> I use Arch pretty much any time I have the option of distros.  [...]
>> Not an easy distribution to install.  But once running, you won't
>> find another one that is more stable.
>>

> I guess the other question is, "What do you want to accomplish with this
> new distro?"  If it's just to play around with something new, almost
> anything will work.  If you want to learn how things interact at a lower
> level than usual, LFS or Arch or Gentoo will give you that.  If you want to
> have a pretty good desktop with lots of stuff supported out of the box,
> Mint has gotten a lot of good press.
>
> The "How to install Gentoo" documentation is long, but don't let that put
> you off.  It's mostly "Boot from CD or USB key.  Run command 1.  Run
> command 2. .... Run command 255.  You're done!" all spelled out
> explicitly.  Waiting for KDE or GNOME to finish compiling is the only
> difficult part :-)
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity