reset password

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 19:20:01 MST 2016

here it is: (guess I didnt need the DVD)

You can't retrieve a forgotten or lost password, but you can set a new one
("change" the old password). It's not simple, because of security concerns.
But if you follow the instructions below carefully, it shouldn't be hard to
do.

*Note: don't use this method when you've encrypted your home directory or
your entire system! Because then it will remain inaccessible. This method
is only meant for the normal situation, in which nothing has been
encrypted.*

1. First you do a one-time hack of the boot menu of Grub.

If you never get to see the Grub menu, you can make the Grub menu visible
when you turn on your computer, *by pressing the Shift key immediately
after the BIOS screen disappears, and keeping it pressed*. Usually it's the
left Shift key, but sometimes it's the right Shift key.

2. Normally the boot line of Linux Mint or Ubuntu is highlighted; if not,
make it so.

Press the *e* key to edit this boot line.

3. Now look for the following line in the text that you see:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-*(...much text omitted...)* ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Move the cursor to the end of that line (use the arrow keys for that) and
delete:

ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Replace the deleted text by this:

rw init=/bin/bash

The line should therefore become like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-*(...much text omitted...)* rw init=/bin/bash

4. Press F10 or use the key combination 'Ctrl x'. With that, you'll boot
your computer with the altered boot line.

5. Now wait a while: Ubuntu or Linux Mint will boot without a graphical
user interface. You'll end up with a "bare" terminal with a lot of text, of
which the bottom line looks like this:

root@(none) / #

6. Now check the existing user accounts on the system. Type:

ls /home

(the first letter is a small L)

Press Enter. You'll see a list of the user accounts. Note that there are no
capital letters in their names.

7. Then type:

passwd your_own_username (for example: passwd john)

press Enter.

Now you should be able to enter your new password ("Enter new UNIX
password").

*Note:* don't use spaces or accents in your new password and don't use
special characters that might vary with different keyboard layouts. Keep it
simple and foolproof: use only letters and figures.

*Note (2):* when you type your new password, it remains invisible. Not even
asterisks will show, which is normal. In this window it's being called a
Unix password: Linux's roots are becoming visible!

8. Press the key combination Ctrl Alt Delete in order to reboot.

You're done! Now you can log in with your new password.

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Stephen Partington <cryptworks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ask Google and Google provides
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-
> password
>
> On Oct 8, 2016 5:13 AM, "Michael" <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the password on my tv server is broken. I guess I forgot it. I reset it
>>  once before but can't do it again. this is what I did:
>>
>> boot into single user mode:
>> at kernel option screen add 'single' to the end of the line that starts
>> with 'linux'
>>
>> then I change the password I wish to change but I can't boot into single
>> user mode with the mint dvd
>>
>> --