VPN Assistance

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Oct 4 09:37:14 MST 2016

I'll second PIA as a provider, they have egress points in most countries
you'd care to egress via.

I built a little ubuntu minimal vm that acts as a lan proxy gateway for
the vpn, and runs a squid http proxy on it.  I register the vm on a
bridge in my network off my server, and it's purpose in life is to boot,
join the vpn, and pipe all traffic out the vpn sent via the proxy.  I
also run a transmission remote server on it to pipe that bad traffic out
the nethers as well.

I found a handy method someone posted when I built it years ago that
uses ifup and ifdown events to start or kill the transmission server so
there isn't leaked data when it is NOT connected.  I'll notice
occasionally my transmission-remote client loses connection, usually
because the vpn went down, and restarted the service.  Which I am
totally good with, as it's doing its job.

I've considered going so far as to build the client tunnel on my wrt
router to egress everything somewhere else, off-the-grid style, but not
practical for my work efficiency too.

Just make sure when using a vpn as such, you're truly sending everything
over vpn you don't want to be seen as.  Most of these janky little vpn
services use some magical client software that I doubt is built the best
to do such things.   It is in your best interests and pocketbook to do
so lest a pack of ravenous lawyers show up on your doorstep extorting
money from you for your kids downloading some shitty top 10 track.

-mb