new external drive

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:22:17 MST 2016

I don't know... it is so weird! I stepped away from the computer for the
night. I thought all activity between gparted and the drive had ceased. In
the morning everything was good. It was even reformatted just a few minutes
ago. I think I'll run badblock on the device.

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Stephen Partington <cryptworks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Before you yank the drive from the enclosure see about using the
> manufacturer software to verify the disk.
>
> On Nov 24, 2016 6:14 PM, "Michael Butash" <mike at butash.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd say you have a bad unit.  Try pulling the drive out of it and
>> connecting it direct to a sata bus and see if that works to get a response
>> to the bus.  Either the drive, or the usb converter chip could be dead.
>>
>> I began to find at one point years ago my chances of buying those cheap
>> external enclosure "backup drives" meant more than likely they would be
>> doa, die soon, or otherwise cause me grief (like causing systems not to
>> post with them connected) indicating some sort of electrical short.  More
>> often than not, usb drives are crap.
>>
>> What I have found is vendors sell _garbage_ drives as "usb", most have
>> signfiicantly lower warranties (6mo-1yr vs 3-5yr) and mtbf rates.  This
>> means you're usually buying the stuff that doesn't otherwise cut muster for
>> desktop or enterprise use.
>>
>> More simply: Expect they will die, and fast.
>>
>> What I do here is buy a normal desktop drive with a good  warranty, get
>> an enclosure myself, put it together myself, and run them this way.  I
>> rarely lose a disk, much better quality over all.
>> -mb
>>

>> On 11/24/2016 12:03 PM, Michael wrote:
>>

>> I got a problem. This new drive won't format. Linux saw it when I first
>> plugged it in. I then tried copying some files to it which resulted in an
>> error appearing after 5-10 minutes telling me to open windows and run
>> 'chkdsk \f' on the device. Then I plugged it into windows10 and couldn't
>> figure out how to open a terminal so I decided to format it. But it
>> wouldn't format. When I attempt to it flashes twice a second for a little
>> then a long flash then again quickly. So I figured I would attempt the
>> format with Linux but Linux doesn't see the drive now so no formatting with
>> it. Can someone help?
>> --