fan issues with system76 gazelle running gentoo

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Thu Nov 24 14:57:47 MST 2016

Herminio Hernandez Jr[1]
>> I [have] gentoo installed on my system76 gazelle laptop. I just got it this week and for some reason I cannot control the fan speed.

Stephen Partington[2]
> try contacting their support

+1. Caveat: my experience with System76 is fairly old, so the following may no longer apply. That being said ...

I got an S76 laptop awhile back (14 years!) when I was very busy and needed something with Linux that Just Worked Out Of The Box. I had a keyboard problem after ~1 year (just after the warranty period) and they said, NP, send it in, we'll replace the keyboard. I also had very good experiences with S76 online support.

That being said, IIRC, S76 only supports Ubuntu directly. If now false, skip the following and just take Stephen's advice. If still true,

1. disk-image your Gentoo install using clonezilla or your favorite Ghostalike.

2. reinstall whatever Ubuntu they're currently supporting (should be quite clear from their support site, which again I always found clear and to-the-point), plus the S76 drivers (ditto).

3. see if you can reproduce the fan-speed problem on that Ubuntu. If so, contact S76; if not, post to a Gentoo list.

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://208.77.223.83/lurker/message/20161124.085640.f8d4fb74.en.html
[2]: http://208.77.223.83/lurker/message/20161124.153821.e9b89988.en.html