a lot of websites seem to be down.....

Anon Anon lokotejones at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 05:29:35 MST 2016

Because if it's a ddos they are going to take down all the fun and
interesting sites. Your computer probably has a cached ip for Google.
Google has a resilient infrastructure.

I'm sure someone will chime in with how to change DNS. You should never be
using the stock DNS or DNS powered by your ISP any ways.