Hiring off shore

Michael Butash mike at butash.net
Fri Nov 11 00:13:41 MST 2016

I think what most companies get is really a classic bait and switch
tactic with offshoring more often than not with oversold expertise.
Offer x, provide y, later offer apologies and discounts once you have
their cash.  Sad for them being taken on a ride, but what else can you
do but witness the atrocity postmortem in most cases?  This is where my
experience has told me otherwise sadly.

I've met really good folks that come over seas too.  I find they often
exist outside of that as we do, already with experience, relying on
their talents.  Sometimes I find them to shackled to a company still
hoping for a H1B to finally move on from indentured servitude an org
holds them to.  However when you see most of the mega-outsourcers drop
people by the gross on projects, there are contracts in place to provide
x number of qualified individuals for y period, and the *qualified* bit
is sorely lacking in most cases.  Development engagements with offshore
firms are almost always purely an exercise in numbers to make any such
sense.

I'd really love to see some hard example of such off-shoring efforts
actually, really succeeding outside marketing.  Perhaps it's just
Arizona still being podunk/naive as it were in the past 15 years or so
of my personal experience here, but seems org's here are far more ripe
for taking, which I can't help but take a certain local pride
perspective direct offense to.  I saw the same as it began in Silicon
Valley in the late 90's during my time there too, so it's not simply a
matter of Arizona denizens being naive, but a convincing fraud none the
less people get taken for rides on.

I can simply name far more utter failures than any successes in the past
20 years witnessed first hand with offshoring efforts to ever think them
good.

-mb